Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Taters & Slaw

Company is coming for Easter....."what can I make, what can I make, what can I make?"
Lou's Slaw and Lawyerly Taters from the Sweet Potato Queens Big-Ass Cookbook, these should go very nicely with the Honey Baked Ham. 
As a matter of fact....they DID go nicely! Everyone raved over the entire dinner, but after a half case of champagne I doubt they'd know the difference. And that's where my confession comes in - my laziness got the best of me on this one and it didn't quite pan out this time. I got the bright idea that making the Lawyerly Taters in the crock pot would save LOTS of time and energy. It did...but not without "probably" sacrificing the taste of them (and even after 5 hours the taters were still a little on the hard side). Any longer in that crock pot and they would have had full blown scorch taste....thank gawd I turned them off when I did.
Lou's Slaw, on the other hand, was WONDERFUL. It was a crunchy cole slaw made with Ramen Noodles.....there are whole cookbooks devoted to cooking with Ramen Noodles, well I don't know about any of the other recipes but this one is a keeper for sure. 

I'm slightly embarrassed to even include this photo of the Lawyerly Taters, but HEY...I'm only human, I DO make mistakes every once in a blue moon.

Lou's Slaw - Lou is a God in my book, even if she didn't quite come up with this completely on her own.

No comments: