Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

March Madness

Two new recipes to add to the "Conquered" list.
BACON MONKEY BREAD
I've been waiting for the perfect moment to try this one out....not that you really need a "perfect" moment for such a thing. This is a fairly easy recipe, more prep time than anything else. It turned out beautifully....as you can see. I would definitely suggest using a whole pack of bacon, and I think if I made it again I would use provolone or cheddar cheese instead of parmesan.....the end result seemed a little dry, I just felt it needed some gooey-ness.  However, that DID NOT keep the masses from devouring it! I'm not sure if it was the particular grocery store I went to, if it's a southern thing, OR if they just stopped making them.....but I couldn't find 10 ounce cans of biscuits. So I used 4 - 7.5 ounce cans, which I think worked out better with the layering. One party-goer said that despite the mega fat content, it was surprisingly light and airy....hence my need for a gooier cheese. And....due to the easy pull-apart construction, even the most inebriated party goer can partake with little effort and without the use of a sharp instrument.

First layer of Bacon Monkey Bread.
Layers complete....ready for the oven.
Voila! Time to dig in!

LAZY, LOW-RENT, AND LUSCIOUS PECAN PUDDIN'
This has to be the EASIEST dessert one could ever make. I'm technically not suppose to give out the recipes here, but......I'm not sure what I could really write about it without telling you the BEST part. Two ingredients: a whole pecan pie and a large tub of cool whip....that's it! Basically, instead of putting cool whip on your pie...you put pie in your cool whip.
Smash up the pie, mostly the crust cause you can't really smash up the filling....it will get mixed and stirred in when you add the tub of cool whip. Stir thoroughly and enjoy!
This stuff is divine and ohhhhh so sweet. It was also a huge hit at the party, and everyone was asking how to make it.....they were flabbergasted when I told them how. I even got to plug my blog....AND THE SPQ.....to a couple of party goers. If you're going to serve this to more than 4 people...I would suggest doubling the recipe....in other words TWO pecan pies and TWO large tubs of cool whip.

Smashed up pecan pie.
Finished product...nicely displayed in a little serving dish with an extra scoop of whipped topping....you can never have enough whipped topping!

1 comment:

MouthyBarberMom said...

Okay, now Imma hafta make BOTH of these...