Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

3 Recipes - No Pics!

First off..... I'm kicking myself in the arse for not remembering to take pictures of any of these recipes. Guess that means I'll just have to do them all again!
I can only hope my words describing them will send you into a state of mouth-watering reverie. 
I had a holiday party and amongst the menagerie of snack foods, there were two SPQ food items and one SPQ drink item. Let's just say that out of all the foods offered, both of the SPQ options were gone WAY before any of the others!

Bacon and Beagle Dicks
Need I really say more? There is bacon and that IS enough! Bacon, and little weinies and some brown sugar and.....toothpicks. But don't eat the toothpicks! If you are going to make these (recipe found in the SPQ Field Guide to Men), I would recommend that you line your baking sheet with foil....these buggers do make a mess while cooking.  
Imagine the perfect balance of sweet and salty and....BACON......Mmmmmm!

Olive Yum Yums
I was hesitant about these things from the get-go, but figured they sounded like a good appeteazer so I decided "what the hell". As the name implies, there are olives. There is also some cream cheese and nuts, and as I was making these things I was thinking "yuck". Now I have to admit, I personally did not try one.....but within an hour of so I noticed there were only 4 left out of 20 that I made. I asked around to see who all had tried one and found out that they were, indeed, delicious! I should have known...I mean really, it IS an SPQ recipe....why on earth would I question its scrumptiousness!

Tiny-Weeny Woo-Woo
I made a double batch of this and froze it so it would be slushy and stay cold longer. I also added vodka to it, about 2 cups, after it was in the punch bowl. Now, the drink special of the night was fresh-squeezed and blended whiskey sours....which were a BIG hit and just too darn delicious for words AND should definitely go in the next SPQ Cookbook....just saying!
But, for those who weren't into the sours, Tiny-Weeny Woo-Woo was provided and also served as a back-up for when we ran out of fruit to make the sours. This sweet and fruity flavored punch definitely served dual purpose and, on a good note, I still have a batch in the freezer and a party to attend soon so I think there is a very good chance I can add a photo of it at a later time :)

No comments: