Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Friday, August 10, 2012

The Project Continues

Alright, I admit it!.....I've been horrible at keeping up with this "cooking project". 
But alas, I'm back with more SPQ recipe reviews :)

I hosted an in-home pedicure party in celebration of a good friend's upcoming wedding. Let me tell ya.....THIS is the way to do it! From now on, every 6 weeks (or so), mani/pedi party at my house.  Friends, food, drink, laughter, music or a good chic flick.....all the while getting pampered......what more could you ask for?
For this event's feast, I slaved for several hours to delight my guests with the following......
"There's Always Room For Bacon"
Found in the Sweet Potato Queens Field Guide to Men on page 220. This recipe is so easy and SO yummy! There were only 5 of us and the entire plate was GONE by the time the 6th guest showed up.....well, that's what happens when you show up late!
In the oven......2 hours till chow down time.

There's always room for bacon!

You can smell bacon right now, can't you?
 Once the "bacon bites" were all gone it was time to move on to the "Raccoon Loaf", found in the Sweet Potato Queens Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide, page 117 on the Divorce Guide side.  Funny story in the book on how it got dubbed the name "raccoon loaf" but if you don't want to have to explain what the hell "raccoon loaf" is....you can just call it a pizza roll. This is another very easy recipe to make, I tweaked the ingredients a bit but the outcome was pretty much the same.
I made two of these, one got devoured before I was able to have my Kodak moment.

Mmmmmmm......that's all I can say.........Mmmmmmmm
For dessert I chose Dinksy's Gooey Bars, from either the God Save the Sweet Potato Queens book (page 222) or the Sweet Potato Queens Big-Ass Cookbook (page 262). I love anything with the word "gooey" in it and I knew everyone else would love the chocolate factor so it seemed to be a good choice for the evening.  In order to save myself from overnight tooth decay, I sent care packages home with a few of the guests and only kept a couple of these for myself for later...... As a matter of fact, I do believe I hear a Friday afternoon snack calling :)
Can't you just taste the gooeyness?

Too much of a good thing CAN be wonderful!



No comments: