Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SPQ Big-Ass Recipe Dinner

You don't have to remind me, I realize it has been almost 2 months since I've experimented with the SPQ recipes.  I've been a slacker, but I have good reasons for it!

What better way to get caught up than to host a dinner party and cook everything from the SPQ books.....which is exactly what I did this week. 

Menu

Beta Mom's Fabulous Beanie Sammiches
Even Bailey Will Eat This Squash
Carrots a Kid Could Love
Tammy Georgia's 80-Proof Cherry Pie
(all recipes taken from The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun & Profit)
& George's Great Pasta Salad
(taken from The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook)

Let's start with the "Sammiches"
Beta Mom's Fabulous Beanie Sammiches are pretty much a bbq chicken with beans added.  Cook it all up in a crock pot and slap a big 'ol heapin' helpin' on a giant kaiser roll and chow down!
The recipe calls for 4 large cans of beans, which I bought.  But I only used 2 because once I got everything in there I realized there was no darn way I needed 2 more cans of beans!  I would also suggest draining the beans.....I had alot of cooking down to do.


All Mixed Up & Ready to Cook

Half-way Done with the Shredding

Cooked Down to Perfection!
Next up, George's Great Pasta Salad
Well, I guess you can't really call this pasta salad for it has no pasta.  But I did open up my refrig and dump all kinds of leftover crap together.  What I came up with was a cucumber, tomato, feta, edamame, black bean, onion & corn salad.  I affectionately referred to it as George's Great Anti-Pasta Salad.



Even Bailey Will Eat This Squash
It's that time of the year......squash and zucchini are abundant in gardens everywhere.  I had to buy mine from the store though.....I ain't got time for a garden and those I know who do, must not be inundated with the stuff yet to the point where they are trying to give it away.  Anyhooooo - squash, zucchini, or a little of both; lots of cheese and a couple of other ingredients make this an easy summertime favorite.


Carrots a Kid Could Love
I really don't think I have to explain to you what this is.  We've all made them or at least had them at some point in our lives.  Sweet carrots....plain and simple!


Put it all together and what do you get?  A freakin' fantastic dinner party!
Everyone loved everything!  The Sammiches and the Squash Stuff were a huge hit.  And I had plenty leftover to send everyone home with a baggie of sammich mix.


But what about dessert, you say?  We luxuriated in the liquid type - Tammy Georgia's 80-Proof Cherry Pie.
It's a concoction of a certain brand and flavor of vodka I had never heard of (actually, I'm very surprised I even found it) and apple juice.  And YES.....it does taste just like cherry pie!

Notice I have personalized martini glasses.....one of the best gifts my mama ever gave me :)

No comments: