Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Feast

Okay, so it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to cook.....for friends that is.......give me a break, do I look like I cook for myself?.....that's crazy talk!

Anyways....it's Thanksgiving and that means one major thing......eat, eat, eat! To accompany our honey baked ham, I whipped up some Fancy Taters, Fatten-You-Right-Up-Rolls, and Chocolate Stuff....all recipes from the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook. Every minute I slaved in that kitchen was worth it!
Would any meal be complete without some warm, oven-baked bread? Hell no! And it can't get any easier than these Fatten-You-Right-Up-Rolls.......only 3 ingredients and you have melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness! Bake them in a mini muffin pan and now you have bite-sized, melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness......Mmmmmmmmm. We couldnt' stop eating them and Miss Julie loved them so much she whipped them up about 2-3 more times within the next week.

The Fancy Taters is like an au gratin potato dish, but way better than the Betty Crocker boxed stuff I would normally make (crap, did I just admit to that). Here you have a garlic-y, cheesey mess that screams "Grandma's comfort food". Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the honey baked ham was a side dish to the Fancy Taters and the Fatten-You-Right-Up-Rolls.

And of course, dessert is a must......especially on Thanksgiving. After careful consideration, we decided we couldn't go wrong with something chocolate.......everyone loves chocolate. Now there are alot of recipes in the Sweet Potato Queens books involving chocolate, but I thought it was high time I make the Chocolate Stuff that has been raved about sine the Book of Love. We added the optional nuts to chunk it up, baked according to directions and the result was........Wow! I'm gonna admit something here......I'm not a big fan of chocolate........I know, I know....what kind of pre-menopausal woman am I.........but let me just say, I had 2 helpings and another for breakfast the next morning. And I'm pretty sure, if given the chance, I could sit down with that whole loaf pan full of Chocolate Stuff and demolish it in no time flat.

And just in case you are wondering...........No, we are not anti-turkey for Thanksgiving. We had our Thanksgiving feast earlier in the day at the Aiken, SC One Table Event.

1 comment:

denise said...

That Chocolate stuff kinda looks like pooh....what is in it? But I will agree with you...I am not a chocolate freak either. Go figure. The rolls and the potatoes look mighty fine.