Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Murder Mystery.....Dessert!

My dear friend, Melissa, celebrated her 29th birthday (for the 7th time) by hosting a Murder Mystery Dinner Party. "A Taste for Wine and Murder" was the theme....you can purchase these box or downloadable sets online and they are a lot of fun if you have the right group of people to play along. 
The body of Barry Underwood, owner of a California vineyard, has been found hidden under his wine cellar. One of the following suspects has committed this heinous crime: Marilyn Merlot, Papa Vito, Tiny Bubbles, Ralph Rottingrape, Hedy Shablee, and Otto Von Schnapps.
We all dressed up, a little, to play our role and shared a fabulous meal which Melissa had prepared. I volunteered to bring the dessert. My first instinct was to make a cake.....seeing how it was a birthday and all, but I finally decided on "Jim Frye's Sacred Dessert Recipe" which can be found in the Sweet Potato Queens Field Guide to Men on page 229. I figured after a heavy Italian meal and lots of wine no one would want to indulge in a big-ass piece of cake.....but slurpy strawberries over ice cream, well that's another story!

Ralph Rottingrape, Tiny Bubbles, Marilyn Merlot, Papa Vito and Otto Von Schnapps.

Ya starts off with lots of butter and brown sugar.........

Then add lots of yummy strawberries.

Even though HRH Jill suggests NOT adding Grand Marnier and lighting this dish....I decided it was a nice alternative to birthday candles. However....we could not, try as we might, get it to go up in flames. Should of used vodka!

And here you have it......Jim Frye's Sacred Dessert Recipe - Dig in!

No comments: