Ever since I read (listened to) the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, I have been dying to try Pig Candy. Well, luckily, I got to try it out first hand at the SPQ Million Queen March Weekend......it was everything I had dreamed it would be. While reading (and listening to, just because it's soooo much more entertaining hearing it all in HRH Queen Boss Jill's own voice) the Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner, I came up with the clever idea of doing a blog just like Julie Powell did with the Julia Childs recipes. So here we go.....follow my progress as I attempt to whip up each of the tried, true and tested recipes loved by the SPQ.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sweet & Savory

I was recently invited to go to a Home Brew/Junk Food party (hosts provide the home brew and guests provide the junk food)......"No problem!.....You want sweet or savory?......Okay, both it is!"
I rumbled through my faithful SPQ Big Ass Cookbook and quickly came up with two recipes: Queso-Pig-Etarian Dip and Sissie Mae's Sweet & Salties. I was certain one or both of these dishes would win me some points.

Sissie Mae's Sweet & Salties are almost done.....I'm positive if you look close enough you can see those little chippies melting!

It's kinda like peanut brittle.....without the peanuts and with chocolate added......okay, maybe it's not like peanut brittle......either way it was Yummy! If you already own a copy of the Big Ass Cookbook, you'll see that there are 3 different recipes for this brittle-like snack; I intend to try them all and compare. If you don't own a copy of the Big Ass Cookbook......well......butter my butt and call me a biscuit, why not!?

The Queso-Pig-Etarian Dip was so easy to make, my only regret is that I didn't eat more of it. It makes alot and I really didn't have a bowl or dish just the right size to serve it in, so I stopped off on my way and grabbed a pie dish. The host was a baker, so it was the perfect "hey, thanks for inviting me to your party....here's some yummy dip and you can keep the dish it's in....maybe someday, if we become friends, you can return the dish to me with a pie in it" gift. But back to the Dip.......cheesy, corny, Mexicali madness with.....yep, you guessed it.........bacooooooon! A good Southern recipe will always use crumbled bacon as a garnish instead of parsley. And in case you are wondering about the name.......queso = cheese, pig = bacon, and etarian is a vegetarian who will allow themselves to eat cheese and bacon.....especially when done up in such a fashion.

2 comments:

Khaki said...

Well, so did your dishes go over as well as you had hoped? (Obviously with the hosts hence the table.)

Anonymous said...

If you have the recipe for the maple bacon cupcake, you could send it right on up to the Queen herself and make us all proud!!! Love the picture and the Blog too!